In the new year, keep an eye out for some of the movements that are shaping our industry.
- The revival of physical stores is offering unique, immersive in-store experiences.
- SSA’s Community Tables and Marketplace concepts make the shopping experience a destination event
- With discretionary spending decreasing, companies are finding it important to educate guests on where their dollars are going.
- SSA is doing this through Your Purchase Matters, mission-driven products and supplying retail from local and small businesses.
- Net Zero is a buying factor — guests are voting for sustainable goods with their wallets.
- SSA’s sustainable custom apparel approach ensures at least 50% of our partners’ apparel programs are sustainably printed
- Healthy foods continue to drive purchases.
- Including seafood alternatives, plant-based foods, healthier dessert options like chocolate-dipped bananas, and more.
- Consumers continue to demand more than concessions – they want higher quality choices and Instagrammable moments.
- Soda alternatives are driving revenue.
- Including flavored sparkling water, kombucha and sparkling fermented teas.
- Cultural attractions are creating unique experiences to drive higher admissions.
- AI is influencing dynamic ticket pricing, helping to mitigate peak attendance times and offering pricing that invites more guests to visit.
- One-click ticket purchasing is driving increased attendance and promoting bundled offerings.
- Digital POS is informing how guests process payments, with friction being removed with every tech innovation.
- Companies are tasked with incorporating seamless digital integration without taking away from the in-person experience.
- Generative AI is entering the scene, seen in places like waste reduction, storytelling and accessibility.
- Global brands are looking for new ways to reduce waste
- Mars has introduced compostable packaging for M&Ms, and Skittles has employed vending machines that eliminate packaging.
- Businesses are going electric
- At SSA, our Climate Action Plan is working to move kitchen to electric, with an estimated 15-60% savings in energy consumption costs.
- We’re seeing more vertical and container farms
- Increasingly, consumers want to know where their food is coming from. Container farms require a smaller footprint and ensure full transparency in product sourcing.
IDEA + Belonging
- Cognitive Diversity is being incorporated into training and development
- Cognitive Diversity is the inclusion of different problem-solving styles and perspectives.
- Diversity initiatives are full steam ahead and requiring ACTION and DATA to prove impact
- SSA partner Behavioral Essentials is leading the industry with comprehensive, data-based development and retention tools to cultivate a thriving workforce.
- AI and ethical AI practices are becoming topics of discussion and implementation.